Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Trailerpalooza Exclusive: The Avengers


It's time. You know you've been waiting for it. And now it's finally here. The first trailer for The Avengers has just been released on the web. It's enough to satisfy the fanboys (me included) out there for now, but you know that one trailer won't be enough sooner or later. You can read my opinion of it after the jump, but now, without further ado, here is a Trailerpalooza exclusive: the first official trailer for one of the most highly-anticipated films of next year: The Avengers.


Now, let me give my own opinion on this. Like I said, one trailer isn't enough, so I'll be expecting a few more as the time goes by. Not too much, though. We don't want the advertising campaign to be like Green Lantern (Not that I'm insulting the movie. I didn't think GL was bad. But it could have been better). Like many who watched the past Marvel Studios films, I have been waiting for this film since the first Iron Man in 2008 and so far from this trailer, I like what I see. Only problem is why couldn't this be filmed like the other Marvel films: in the 2:35- 2:40 aspect ratio. 1:85 is okay, but for a film like this, it just doesn't seem right. I expected more of a bigger scope when I see this in the theatres, but you know, what can you do?

It's great to see everyone back: the always brilliant Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, the two Chris's (Evans- Captain America and Hemsworth- Thor), Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow (in that same black suit, Score!), Jeremy Renner returns as Hawkeye after that brief cameo in Thor, Mark Ruffalo replaces Edward Norton as the Hulk, which is sad, but I trust Ruffalo to play this well and after all those cameos (except for Iron Man 2), Samuel L. Jackson's back as Nick Fury. Tom Hiddleson returns as Loki, the mischieveing, evil brother of Thor. We hear him in the beginning. The only person missing from this trailer is Cobie Smulders, who plays S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Maria Hill. Hopefully, we see her in another trailer.  It's gonna be nice to see her transition from TV star (you probably know her as Robin on How I Met Your Mother) to major movie star.

The director and screenwriter is Joss Whedon, who is loved by the fanboy commuinity. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a fine show, Dollhouse was pretty good, but for me, Firefly was one of his best. Although sadly cancelled after one season, he continued where the final episode left off on the big screen with Serenity, which I also liked. To see him direct this is pretty cool, especially since a long time back, he was supposed to make a Wonder Woman movie (with Smulders in mind), but that never came through (Since David E. Kelley's television pilot was scrapped, I hope that Warner Bros. lets Nicolas Winding Refn do the Woman Woman movie). I can't judge Whedon's direction or writing, mainly because it's a trailer. I just hope that he'll do a good job. Also on a side note, for those who want to know the song playing in the trailer, it's Nine Inch Nails' awesome opus, "We're in This Together" from their 1999 album, The Fragile.

Well, that's it. That's my whole opinion on the first Avengers trailer. Hopefully, this trailer satisfies you. If it doesn't, then I wish you luck. The Avengers hits theatres May 4, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment