Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Avengers, The Hunger Games and Other Films I Forgot to Review

As you can tell, I've missed out on reviewing a lot of films over the past few months either 'cause I've been in writer's block or I just didn't feel like it, which is normally what I should not be doing as a blogger. And I saw these films too. I'll give my rating for them, as well as one to a few sentences to explain my reasoning behind it. I'll go through each month. Some of these films are already out or coming to Blu-ray/DVD, some still in theatres.

January
Shame - 8/10: Despite all the hype due to Michael Fassbender's lead character *ahem* ing everything in sight, this is the least sexiest film I've seen. It just makes sex a little scary. Fassbender (in his second collaboration with director Steve McQueen) and Carey Mulligan deliver the hell out of this movie though.

February
Safe House - 7/10: A nicely made action-thriller with strong performances from Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds and Brendon Gleeson. (Coming to Blu-ray/DVD, On Demand and Digital Download June 5th.)

The Vow - 7/10: It's predictable and what was supposed to be unmemorable is somewhat the opposite with fine performances from its cast. (Out now on Blu-ray/DVD, On Demand and Digital Download)

March
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax - 5.5/10: While the environmental message that made the book so memorable is still there and voices are good, but the message is so kiddie'd down it lacks the fiery fever that fueled the book and the musical numbers, all except one, do not help. (Date unknown for BR/DVD, OD and DD)

John Carter - 7/10: While the film is not without its faults (Lynn Collins' performance is an example), the film is pulpy sci-fi fun. (Out on BR/DVD, OD and DD June 5th.)

Project X - 6.5/10: It's not that original and kinda mean-spirited, but Project X takes the teen party movie to another level. Most importantly, it feels real. (Out on BR/DVD, OD and DD June 19th)

The Hunger Games - 7.5/10: I read the book, so... (Still in theatres)

April
American Reunion - 7/10: It's nice to see everyone from the original three films (not those crappy direct-to-dvd sequels) back and while this new installment is a little stale, it still benefits from good performances and another good blend of raunchy humor and sweet moments. (Out on BR/DVD, OD and DD July 10th)

And now for the big kahuna...
The Avengers - I waited in line for half-an-hour just to get the good seats (and it wasn't the 3D version, by the way), my expectations were high and it absolutely lived up to them. Fantastic action, humor and performances help make the movie as memorable as it should be. The film gets an outstanding 9 out of 10 from me. (Still in theatres, making a billion worldwide. Coming to BR/DVD, OD and DD September 25th.)

No comments:

Post a Comment