Saturday, July 7, 2012

Piranha 3DD - Movie Review

Directed by John Gulager
Written by Partick Melton and Marcus Dunstan and Joel Soisson, based on characters created by Peter Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg.
Running Time: 82 minutes (1h, 22 mins.)
Rated R (for sequences of strong bloody horror violence and gore, graphic nudity, sexual content, language and some drug use).
Distributor: The Weinstein Company (Dimension Films/Radius-TWC)

This is a little too late to review this film now, but since I couldn't keep myself from doing so, let me keep this review short and sweet: Piranha 3DD does not live up to its 2010 original (which in turn was based on the 1978 original). Now I know, this is supposed to be fun and granted I had plenty of fun with the first, but this sequel just comes off like an dull parody of the first. Honestly this time around, I just found myself bored.

I don't need to tell the story for this, because there is no story to this. It's the same as the first: hungry piranhas go terrorize a new town. There are some inventive kills, but not the kind that made me giggle, even one with a piranha chewing on some guy's penis. Of course as promised by the tagline, you get more naked women, enough to make college frat boys or even a 13-year-old boy drool (and granted, that may probably be the only reason they enjoy this film). Bad dialogue plagues this film and I'm talking Asylum-like bad dialogue (for anyone who's seen Asylum films like Death Racers or their most recent Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies) and the actors (including one saving grace in David Koechner) do what they can with the underwritten roles they have.

I'll wrap this up by saying that Piranha 3DD is a boring, dull and derivative sequel that, despite some of the inventive new kills, ridiculous cameos (two big ones being Gary Busey and David Hasselhoff) and yes, double D's, offers nothing that I didn't see before. A sequel that was so promising is in the end, totally disappointing.

Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment