Friday, September 2, 2011

Summer 2011: My Picks of the Best Films of the Season


When it's Labor Day Weekend, you know that once again, summer is coming to a close. You got the back-to-school ads showing, there's more cloud than sun and there's not a lot of good movies out there at the end. As sad as that is, it is however the best time for me to count down my picks of the best films that the summer movie season brought us.


#5- Crazy, Stupid, Love. (Read the original review)
It wasn't exactly a clear choice for that spot, but there was no other romantic comedy this year that was more lovable than this. An all-star cast that includes Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone give good performances, but two of the scene-stealers are Jonah Bobo and Analeigh Tipton as Carell's son and the babysitter who he crushes on.


#4- Submarine (Read the original review)
A movie as cool and quirky as this deserves to be on this list. As I mentioned before in my review, I consider this a wake-up call to Hollywood, hoping that they make more films like this instead of just sequels, remakes, reboots and crappy, unoriginal romantic comedies. If you thought I was hinting that they should remake this film, I wasn't.


#3- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
I didn't write a review of this film, because at that time, I didn't start the blog yet. But however I can write a little review of it. The eighth film in the series is truly one of the best. Although it could have been longer, it was still great to watch everything finish the way it did. As always in the films, the performances are great and the visual effects dazzle. I didn't watch the film in 3D, but I heard it was terrible. Originally, this was going to be in the second spot, but there was a film that I thought was a little better.


#2- Captain America: The First Avenger (Read the original review)
This is the best superhero film of the year, better than any of the others I've seen. It's everything a superhero film should be: fun, adventurous, humorous, full of action and character depth. Performances are top notch, whether it comes to Chris Evans as the lead hero or Tommy Lee Jones as the tough sergeant, director Joe Johnson has brought the best Marvel superhero film since the first Iron Man.


#1- Midnight in Paris (Read the original review)
I'm a big fan of Woody Allen's work, but I'll admit some of his films weren't his best, but Midnight in Paris is. From the film's very first scenes to the very end (I stayed through the credits), the film is a gem to behold. Everyone is great from Owen Wilson (who I'll admit makes a better Woody Allen than Woody Allen himself, no offence) to Kathy Bates. Like I said before, not only has the Woodman made one of the best films of his career, he's made one of the best films of the year.

Later, I'll give my picks of the worst films of the summer. I gave some hints on which ones would be on that list in some of my reviews and I might even get a little harsh on one or two of them. You'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment