Friday, September 2, 2011

Summer 2011: My Picks of the Worst Films of the Season

Now for the second part of my picks. These are my worst films of the summer. Instead of five, this list has only four films. Three of the films that are on the list were not reviewed by me, because I didn't start the blog at the time. Originally, I would've put Battle: Los Angeles and Beastly on the list, but those came out in March, so technically they're not summer releases. They both felt like ones, though. Let's kick it off with #4 which is...

#4- Zookeeper
It has a good premise- a zookeeper who gets love advice from animals who talk in order to win his ex-girlfriend back- but the way the film executed it was sadly disappointing. Usually I don't expect a lot from a Happy Madison production, but from the trailer, it looked kind of funny. I was wrong. A highlight of the film is Adam Sandler voicing the monkey. It sounds like a weird combination of Louis Armstrong and who knows what? One question I gotta ask: how does Kevin James get a chick like Leslie Bibb in this?

#3- Priest
I liked the manga that this was based on and I was glad to hear a movie was being made. After many delays (because of the conversion of 3D), the film finally came out and it sucked. Why? Because while the manga was so original, this film felt the opposite. It was cliched as well. As much as I liked Paul Bettany in this, unfortunately he wasn't enough to save the film.


#2- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World (Read the original review)
I don't even want to write this again, because it just gives more thoughts on how I should bash this piece of crap sequel. Just read the review. You'll know why this is on the list. After that, you can read my defense of the review. But this film wasn't as worse as what's about to come next. My pick for the worst film of the summer movie season is...

#1- Something Borrowed
My God, this film was an annoying nightmare that you wanted to wake up from. I believe movies similar to this get made for women who must be stupid enough to believe that some rom-com cliche can happen and boy, this movie is filled with cliches from the plot to the lines that are said. Ginnifer Goodwin is boring as the main character. She's usually better than that. Colin Egglesfield (or Tom Cruise Jr.) is just dull, and Kate Hudson is plain annoying. Nothing to say for John Krasinski, though. In fact, he almost saves the film. Almost. The most surprising credit of the whole movie was "Produced by Hilary Swank". You can't be serious. Hilary Swank, a two-time Academy Award-winner, produced this?! Whatever, luckily this film came out against Thor, which means it had kind of a hard time at the box office and even though it made back its $35 million budget, most of the movie's marketing was overshadowed by star Kate Hudson's pregnancy. That's good enough for me, because that means not a lot of people saw it. Let me just end this by saying that this is the worst romantic comedy of the year so far. I don't know who will beat it. We'll just see as the year goes by.

Well, that's it. That's my best and that's my worst. The end of the summer movie season isn't really such a bad thing. The fall movie season looks even bigger with films like Contagion, Warrior, Drive, 50/50, Abduction, Moneyball, Real Steel, The Ides of March, Paranormal Activity 3, Killer Elite, Like Crazy, Anonymous, In Time and The Rum Diary. I guess I'll see you in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment